Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Recipe Review: Egg Drop Soup

We are feeling a little sickly in our home this week, so I have been searching Pinterest all day long to find new soup ideas! Once we got sick of regular chicken and noodle and cream of mushroom, I have decided to try a few new ones--maybe a french onion, pasta fagioli, and we're having chili on Friday night for the Ward Halloween Party, so that'll be great!


I have never liked egg drop soup--but I'm also not sure if I've ever had it (can you tell I was a picky kid?) Just the name egg drop turned me off from ever doing more than just dipping my spoon in once or twice at a restaurant. But in my search for soups, this one sounded so warm and brothy- perfect for our sick bodies on a cold day. Plus I had all the ingredients on hand!


I wasn't as happy with this soup as I could have been. My main problem was that the soup wasn't the burning hot warm-your-whole-body-as-it-goes-down soup I had hoped for. By the time I served it (and maybe I could time this better next time) it was just warm because the egg gets poured in after it is taken off the heat. So that takes some time. And I wanted longer egg strands. Is that possible? Oh well, I really can't complain. We just had a dinner that took like 12 minutes to prepare and we have leftovers too!






Egg Drop Soup
from Gimme Some Oven



Ingredients:



  • 4 cups good chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 3-4 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
  • 3 green onions, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup corn or creamed corn (optional)
  • salt and white pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp. each)
[We also added some shredded cooked chicken -Eliza]
Method:
Pour the chicken stock into a room-temperature pot, and whisk in the cornstarch until it is well-blended.  Add in the garlic, ginger and soy sauce.  Turn on the stove and heat over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs in a small measuring cup or bowl.  (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
Once the soup is boiling, turn off the heat.  Then while using one hand to continually stir the soup in one direction with a fork, slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup.  (This will create the nice egg ribbons!)  Then gently stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn (optional).  Season with white pepper (be careful) and salt (depending on your chicken broth, be generous).
Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment