Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lesson Learned: Banana Oatmeal Cookies

It's pretty much a weekly thing that I buy too many bananas and end up with "ripe" ones (why are the black mushy ones called ripe?). So I am trying to branch out of the regular banana bread and try new banana creations! These low-fat banana oatmeal cookies from Skinny Taste sounded good from the moment I saw them. The only problem? Mine. are nothing. like the picture.


I've been trying to figure out why, because I actually tried to follow the recipe exactly! I didn't have any walnuts to put in however. So the only thing I can think of (which now I am pretty sure must be the culprit) is that I just mashed one full banana into the bowl instead of measuring the 1/4 cup it calls for. But hey- what was I going to do with extra banana? How am I supposed to know how much banana equals 1/4 cup? Why would a recipe call for only part of a banana??? I know...lame excuses.

As much as I know I should have measured the banana, that's not the lesson I learned (because I will never measure banana! I refuse!) My lesson is this: if I am uncertain about the consistency of the dough before I bake it, then only bake a few to test it out! The dough did seem pretty thin (and DELICIOUS if I do say so myself). But rather than test a few, I went ahead and baked a dozen! They turned out a little something like this:

Yes, those are flat, chewy, slightly-banana-y, almost cookies. They basically fall apart in your hands! So after I messed up those dozen, I added some more flower to the Shenli batch (aka the batch with chocolate chips!). They turned out slightly better.....


But how come neither of them look like the original picture!? I am just unhappy about this. I think I might have to crumble the flat ones up and use them as ice cream topping or mix in with my yogurt. Hmm...actually....not a bad idea..... And as for the second batch, I hope I put enough chocolate chips in them that Shenli will look past the other awful flaws!


Chewy Low Fat Banana Nut Oatmeal Cookies
(Skinny Taste)

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups quick oats
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.  

Add the egg, followed by the mashed banana and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chopped walnuts.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container so you don't eat them all in one sitting!


No comments:

Post a Comment