Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bread Pudding

I meant to make this with my mom over Christmas break, but with all of the goodies from our neighbors, we didn't have room for anymore baked treats. So during the first few days back at school, I decided to try making it on my own. And it turned out wonderfully if I do say so myself.

I used a recipe from All Recipes and didn't alter it at all. Well, I couldn't find a mixing bowl so I ended up dumping the eggs, milk, etc. into the dish with the bread and swirling it all around to mix it. It worked! As for the raisins, I completely refused to add them. When I try this recipe again, I might add chocolate chips for more of a dessert, or even nuts. But never ever raisins.

Obviously I couldn't wait to take a picture before I dug in! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 6 slices day-old bread
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment